This time we won’t blame my car troubles on an old car,
repairman error, or the weather. This
time, it’s Bambi’s fault. You know that
part in Bambi where Bambi sees deer leaping in the
meadow? That’s exactly what one deer was
doing down the road where I work. He was
just minding his business, leaping along the side of the road in complete joy,
when I came around the corner. We saw
each other at the same time. I screeched
to a halt. He swerved, and ran into my
door.
The deer got up immediately and leaped away, so that’s good.
I like to imagine that his thought
process went somewhat like this: Did anyone see that? I don’t think so. Chloe, Joe and Biff are in the clearing over
there. Keep leaping like you’re doing it
on purpose, not like you're totally freaked out that you just ran into a car. Just happy to be here. Nothing to see here, folks! Gee, that hurt!
I’m not projecting any personal experiences on the deer at
all.
I got out and surveyed the damage. My mirror was hanging on to the side of my
car by some wiring, and the cover had been knocked off. I’ve taped the mirror back in place, but it doesn’t swivel
any more, and I can’t get it to focus on the road the way I need it to.
At first, I thought that was the only damage. Then I took it to a body shop for an estimate
and found this.
Not sure how I missed it.
In my defense, the part of the door handle fell off a few days after the
incident. You can't tell from the picture, but there is actually deer hair stuck in that little black button on the handle. All in all, it's not too bad. Except for the fact that the damage is right where the door experiences the most stress, so I need to get it fixed.


1 comment:
Yikes! Hitting deer (or having deer hit you) is traumatic. I'm glad it wasn't more so for either of you!
Post a Comment