Sunday, October 28, 2012

Last Days?

About three weeks ago, a friend of mine told me she’d seen a job opening posted at my hometown library.  My goal has always been to head back home, but I was thinking it would take a few more years to get there.  This was the first job posting I’d seen that made me question that.

I stewed and fretted, and stewed and fretted some more, and worked myself into such a tizzy that I realized I would have no peace until I applied for the position, regardless of the fact that this didn’t match the timetable in my head.  Basically, this is how the entire process made me feel.
Of course, I only look like this around Halloween.  Right?!
I applied for the job, and 24 hours later I was called for an interview!  Suddenly, this seemed like an actual possibility.  I started wondering if I was ready to move.  Had I done everything here I was meant to do?  Was there something I needed to do before I left?  The answer was surprising, and kind of trivial: There’s a very famous hike near me, and I’ve only done half of it.  I knew I wanted to finish that hike before I left, even though we’ve just had our first snowfall of the season.

The interview went about as well as you can expect a phone interview to go (I hate how you can’t tell what the people on the other end are thinking!), and at the end of it they told me they’d let me know in another 24 hours if they wanted me to come in for an in-person interview.  Twenty-four hours came and went, and I didn’t get a call back.
So I’m staying here for now, and I don’t have to rush off and climb a mountain.  It’s kind of a relief in a way, and also kind of disappointing.  I might climb that mountain anyway if the weather cooperates.
What would you do if you found out you only had a few weeks left where you live?

2 comments:

Jules said...

Boo, I was thinking maybe this meant you were moving back here! I'm sure they just promoted some random person who already works there, *sigh*

DeskSet said...

Thanks Control! I'm telling myself the same thing. It helps me keep my dignity. :)