Monday, January 7, 2013

Winter Break 2012

Well, the holidays are over, I’m back at work, and I’m having a hard time answering the question, “How was your holiday?”

The problem is not that it was boring, but that there was so much going on.  I took two and a half weeks off work, and those two and a half weeks were full of activity.  You see, my parents moved ten days before Christmas.  So along with the parties and getting together with friends and family, we also packed, cleaned, moved, and unpacked.
A sample of our packing endeavors.  I seem to remember this room being fuller, and all of the empty boxes being used, so I'm going with the theory that this was mid-packing.  Or close-to-the-end-packing.  Also, the kitchen was pretty full of boxes as well.

Gratuitous shot of our old house.

One thing I learned from this experience is that I’ve become very comfortable, perhaps too comfortable, with living on my own.  It’s nice to be able to do things in your own way, on your own time table.  Also, it took a few days to adjust to being around people all the time.  I’m not sure I did a very good job of it.  I feel horrible just writing that.

One nice thing about the break was the week after Christmas.  We made a big push to get most of the house unpacked before the Christmas parties started, then we stored anything that hadn’t been unpacked in every single closet, nook, and cranny that was left.  No longer seeing the pile of boxes made them much easier to ignore, and I relaxed a little.  Also, the last week my youngest sister and I stayed with our middle sister and her husband.  Thanks for putting up with us, A!  We really appreciate it!

Perhaps the highlight of the break was the fact that I went snow shoeing for the first time ever.  Some friends and I headed for Stewart Falls on a particularly cold but crisp day.  It was gorgeous there!

Look Ma, no hands!
I celebrated getting to our destination by making a snow angel. 
The hardest part of making a snow angel is getting back up, but still leaving your handiwork intact.
Our destination: Stewart Falls
Pretty winter scenery.
 Here’s hoping everyone out there had a good holiday season!

2 comments:

Jules said...

Sometimes I don't adjust very well to having people around either so, you know, it's not just you. Maybe it's a librarian thing! Let's blame it on that.

Tony and Vickie Beard said...

It seemed like there were an ENORMOUS amount of people here and something going on every second, but we made it through this Christmas move (and shoot me if I ever say the word "move" again). But, we did make it because of YOU!!! You were awesome!!
I am enjoying the peace and quiet, too. I'm not a librarian,either. So, what is my excuse. THANK YOU MARCIE very, very, very much!!!!!!!