Friday, March 6, 2009

Scenes of Indiana: Fall Edition

Those of you who read the titles of blogs are probably a bit confused.  No, I am not mixing up my seasons.  I did just give blood for the very first time in my life, but I don't think it has addled my brain that much.  This post really is about Autumn. And I really am writing about it with Spring just around the corner.  With that squared away, shall we continue?

One thing I recently learned about the campus of Indiana University is that the physical layout was designed by the same person who designed Central Park in New York City.  It's amazing what you learn as a librarian.  No wonder I feel like I'm walking through a forested wonderland every time I walk to class.  I love it all.  I especially love it in the Spring and the Fall, when every day seems different because the world is changing all around me.

I didn't know this before I got here, but Southern Indiana is actually pretty famous for its brilliant Fall colors.  People come from miles around to see it.  This last year, I walked around with my camera every single day just in case I saw something particularly colorful or interesting.  I actually still do that.  Because Spring is rapidly approaching, and because I won't be here next Autumn, I'm going to show you some of the pictures I took last October, even though that would technically throw the seasons out of whack.  Bear with me, and enjoy the beautiful Fall colors.

As you will soon notice, I was very drawn to all of the reds. We have Autumn in Utah, but I don't think I've ever seen reds as vibrant as these. Utah has more of a yellow Autumn, I think.  Also, keep in mind that almost all of these pictures are on campus, which is in the middle of town.


I think I was trying to be artistic with this one. Instead of taking a picture of the pretty yellow tree, I took a picture of its reflection in the Jordan River.


I was torn about including this picture. The effect would have been pretty amazing if the sun had come up all the way, but I took this early in the morning, so the bright red clock was in the shade. Just imagine the juxtaposition of colors here.


I'm not sure if this is on campus or off. Either way, campus buildings are right across the street. I loved how the entire street was lined with red trees. I walk this way every Friday on my way to the public library.


This might be my favorite picture of them all. It was sunset, so the red of the bushes seemed to catch on fire. I also liked the idea of the lamp post peeking out of the bushes. It makes the bushes seem huge, but in reality these bushes really aren't that tall. There's a drop right behind them, and then the lamp post stands by a path at the bottom of the drop. Also, if you look carefully, you can see the main library. I don't think I've included a picture of the library yet. I'm saving my pictures of that for a special library post. Because I'm really that geeky.


Yellow! Isn't this pretty? Despite the fact that this picture is made up of only one color, this one in my mind is one of the most Autumn-looking of the lot. I just love that carpet of leaves. I wish someone would rake it up for me so I could jump in it.


Believe it or not, I took a lot more pictures of Fall in Indiana. This is just a tiny sample. What did you miss?
  • A lot of close-ups and pictures that didn't turn out as I had originally intended them to.
  • My main picture day was on Halloween, so I had to take about a dozen of the graveyard and chapel on campus, right?
  • And then there's the picture I wanted to take, but never did. Every Friday this Autumn when I walked to the public library, I passed these two older guys in overalls sitting on a plank of wood they'd propped up between two trees on campus. They were always just sitting there, enjoying the day. But I was too scared to ask them if I could take their picture. Just imagine it for me, won't you?
Coming soon in a month or two: the next installment of Scenes of Indiana: Spring Edition!

1 comment:

ferskner said...

Preeeettty!!!!! Walking around campus during transition periods really is one of the best things about living here. But I also love pure summer. And wasn't snow day walking just as fun, too? It's all good here!