Thursday, February 5, 2009

Scenes of Indiana: Snow Day, Part II

One thing I love about snow is the fact that new-fallen snow is so fluffy and powdery and it sparkles in the sunshine. Imagine my delight when I was walking home late Tuesday night, and the snow was sparkling in the moonlight as well! It was beautiful! It looked like someone had taken a big canister of those white sparkly sprinkles you sometimes see on fancy cakes, and they had completely covered Bloomington with them.

Now you know two things about me: 1) I'm not a poet, and 2) I relate well to food. Oddly enough, one of my reactions to the splendor of it all was, "Oh, THAT's how Edward's supposed to look!" The other reaction was, I need to post some winter pictures! So, without further ado, here are some pictures I took on my snow day.

Winter sunflowers.



The first snow angel I've made in a long time!



A path Ferskner and I made on campus. This is a woodsy area smack-dab in the middle of campus! Honestly, it makes you feel like you're in a Robert Frost poem instead of at a university. I love it!


A good thing about exploring with Ferskner is that she loves finding out odd facts about places. I learned a lot about Bloomington that I'd never known before. For example, here's Exhibit A: a lovely little gazebo on campus. While I was wishing I could re-enact the "16 Going On 17" scene in The Sound of Music, Ferskner told me that this was the spot where undergraduate girls traditionally kissed their boyfriends, kind of like the "True Aggie" tradition at Utah State. I wonder if this tradition is found at a lot of schools? I also wonder what this is called here—maybe the “True Hoosier” tradition?



Detailing in the roof of the gazebo


More detailing.


As odd as it may sound, I'm trying to avoid putting pictures of myself up here. However, I just couldn't resist adding this one. Ignore the funny getup, please. Here I am shaking the hand of Herman B Wells, a former university chancellor (1962-2000) known for coining the phrase, "There is no distinguished university without a great library." Ah, Herman B, you are so wise. Also, your middle name is a letter, not an initial. How cool is that?!


Our campus has a church and a graveyard right in the middle of it! You don't see that every day, so I had to include pictures here. Here's a stained glass window in the chapel.


Here's the chapel itself. Ferskner tells me it's really in use.


And here's the graveyard, which is not still in use. At least, it's not being added to. . . .


A few more pictures of the nature on campus. Here's a picture of the Jordan River flowing underneath a bridge.



And here's another pretty picture, taken in the same spot, just looking forward instead of down.



Wow, that's a lot of pictures! And I've taken a lot more! Does anyone want to come visit me now? Stay tuned for more pictures soon, and a look back at what Indiana is like in the Fall.

1 comment:

ferskner said...

YAY SNOW DAY!!!! That was so much fun!!!!!!! I'm glad I could have been of service to you!