Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Best Reference Question Ever!

Do you know the significance of January 30th, 2008? While political analysts will tell you that date was important because it was the day that John Edwards and Rudy Giuliani gave up their respective bids to be the U.S. President, I had something a little more personally monumental in mind.

On this date I had been working at my first job as a reference librarian (okay, reference assistant) for about a month. I was getting the hang of things, and becoming resigned to the fact that my major work responsibility would be restocking the printer with paper. Then on the night in question, a patron came up to me and asked me the following innocent question:

"Excuse me; I need to print my face. How does the copy machine work?"

I am not making this up! At first I was kind of confused. Was the guy pulling my leg? But he looked so sheepish and embarrassed about it, I was certain he was being serious. So I showed him the copy machine, explained how it worked, and let him have at it.

I found out later that there is an art class on campus where one of the assignments requires the students to either scan or copy their face. In fact, I have seen a few people doing so since then. It's always kind of funny to watch.

Alas, I have not been asked the question lately, as I was hoping someone would. It would be a great way of commemorating my experience. However, even though it was one of the first reference questions I was ever asked, I think it's going to be really hard to top. It might be the best reference question I'm ever asked!

2 comments:

ferskner said...

That is pretty sweet!

P.S. John Edwards wasn't running as a Republican. You know these things are important to me.

DeskSet said...

Thanks for catching that, Ferskner. I guess I was just thinking of Rudy Giuliani since he was the last one on the list. Because I'm a perfectionist, consider it fixed.