Sunday, January 18, 2009

Looking Back, Looking Forward

My roommate Control posted a blog the other day where she listed what she liked best about 2008, and what she was looking forward to in 2009. I must admit that I think her 2008 was better than mine, but not by much. So, in honor of her, here are some things I liked about 2008 in rough chronological order:

  • Adult Reader's Advisory—a fun class made even better by the fact that all of the Mormons in SLIS managed to get in (okay, so there were 4 of us. Still. We made up about 1/4th of the class!). And for some reason, even though no one really knew who we were, a reference to Mormons was made in every class. Thanks, Orson Scott Card, for giving Mormons a name in the publishing world.

  • British Sunday—to be explained in another post at a later date.

  • I got my first Reference job, and thus began compiling a collection of funny reference experiences, some of which will also be shared at a later date.

  • My sister came to visit me! Of this experience, I have only one word: Cheesecake! She'll know what I mean by that.

  • I got to know a man named Mr. Thornton. Technically, this happened in December of 2007, but I got my sister addicted to him too in 2008. Ah, Mr. Thornton! *sigh*

  • I saw my first fireflies! Beautiful!

  • That one time when I made Control and Ferskner think I wanted to buy an old electronic organ and learn to play it.

  • Dance parties in D'CALC. Our favorite song to dance to? Jesse McCartney's Leavin'.

  • A paper I had written in 2007 was accepted by a library journal and published.


A pretty good year, I think. Now as to what I'm looking forward to in 2009:


  • Graduating with an MLS. Okay, actually, I'm looking forward to this one with trepidation. I have to get a job now and be a grown-up! But the possibilities are exciting. I wonder where this year will take me?

  • My family's coming to visit me for graduation! I can't wait to show them where I've been living for the last two years.

  • A Graduation Vacation. Can I tell you how excited I am to go to Chicago for the first time? Very.

  • This last one's a hope: While I'm here in Indiana, I think I should go to some of the Church History sites in the area. I should at least go to Kirtland and Nauvoo, shouldn't I? The problem is, I haven't planned these trips out yet. Is anyone willing to go on a day trip to these places with me? Perhaps during Spring Break? Please?

Yep, it's official, the past was pretty good, and the future is unknown, but full of promise. Here's to 2009!

1 comment:

ferskner said...

Beautiful!!

Dance parties are definitely one of my favorite things about D'CALC and 2008 - and 2009 is off to a great start, no? They're also maybe the thing that surprises me the most about living in D'CALC.

I'd go church history! A weekend trip, perhaps???