Sunday, March 25, 2012

March Update

A few weeks ago, the college I work for had its spring break. As college staff, I didn’t get the week off. However, I was looking forward to a slower week, allowing me to possibly get caught up on some things.

Then we were told that the facilities department had decided to install a new heating system over spring break. It was up to us: we could stay and work that week, and the college would provide space heaters to keep us warm, or we could take personal time off. I imagined myself wearing three coats, hunched over a space heater, trying to sort through the piles on my desk with bitterly cold fingers, and decided to take the week off.

The week turned out to be a mild one, with temperatures in the 50s and 60s. Sometimes I am overdramatic.

So I got an unexpected vacation. I drove to Utah and spent a leisurely time running errands and filing my parents’ taxes. I also went to a Vocal Point concert with my sister.

On the last day of the break, we got a call that my grandma had passed away in the night. I called my boss and got a few more days off so I could go to the funeral, which was lovely and touching. I’m glad I stayed for it, and I’m glad I’d gone to see my grandma a few days before she passed. It was nice to be able to say goodbye.

I drove back as soon as the funeral was over, and life has been kind of crazy since then. And that’s been my March up to this point.

3 comments:

Jules said...

Oh no, I'm sorry, Marcue! But that is really nice that you were able to see your Grandma before she passed away.

ferskner said...

Oh I'm sorry, Marcue! I was reading the beginning of this thinking "NO you shouldn't have to be forced to take time off!" but I'm glad you did. That's really nice that you were able to be with your family.

DeskSet said...

Thanks gals. I must say that in the end I'm glad things worked out the way they did. Kinda.