Saturday, March 3, 2012

Caramel Calms the Crazy

The last month and a half have absolutely flown by. Every time the weekend comes up I think to myself, “Whoa, how did that happen?!” Then I blink my eyes and it’s Monday again. The depressing part of this story is that I’m not doing anything exciting with my time; work is just all-consuming at the moment. *sigh* Good thing I’m taking spring break off, and spring break is this next week!

Something else that has made the last few months more enjoyable is this recipe I found around Christmas. I love it! One thing I like most is that I can easily cut this down to feed little old me. Plus, it’s delicious!

Inside-Out Apple Crisp

Yield: 4 Servings

Ingredients:
4 Granny Smith apples (cored and slighty hollowed down)

Filling:
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon of pumpkin spice (I’ve found a mixture of nutmeg and cinnamon tastes just as delicious.)
caramel sauce for drizzling over baked apple

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Core and slightly hollow out the apples beyond the cored center. (Don’t go too far or the apple will lose its shape when baked).
3. Mix together the oats, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar.
4. Soften the butter and add to the mixture, mixing gently until spread throughout.
5. Lightly add the filling to the apples. (Do not pack inside or the mixture will expand and the apple will burst!)
6. Bake for 30 minutes
7. Drizzle with caramel sauce



3 comments:

Jules said...

Those look delicious and so easy! I will have to try them out soon.

Lynette said...

I'm convinced! I am so going to try this recipe.

ferskner said...

Um, yes????? After Lent is over, I will eat this thing.