Saturday, May 21, 2011

Off to the Races!

A few weekends ago I went to a Kentucky Derby party. A friend of mine is from Kentucky, so she insisted that we come and watch the race at her house. Besides horses, good friends and a good time, there would also be Midwestern food and a hat competition.

Probably the best part, besides an exciting two and a half minute-long race, was seeing how creative people were in designing their Southern Belle hats. Take a look:


I'm the one on the far left--the one who looks like I'm headed to a lemonade-themed funeral. The bike is in the shot because one person not only decorated her own hat (I borrowed one that someone else decorated), she also made horse heads out of sock puppets and stuck them to her bike so she could ride a horse over to the party.

Here's a picture of the detail on my hat.


I've seen a few of the hats that celebrities wore to the derby, and I must say I think our hats were better. But I could just be vain. I had a lot of fun dressing up and wearing that hat, even though it had a gold horse head pinned to it. It was a combination of class and fanciness and fun that I don't come by on a regular basis.

2 comments:

Lynette said...

When you bought that dress you thought you wouldn't have any where to wear it. Aren't you glad I convinced you to buy it! It goes quite smashing with the hat! :)

DeskSet said...

You're right! It was fate. I needed a dress for a derby party, and I found the perfect one six months before the big event. Too bad it didn't work that way with the wedding outfit!