Sunday, November 14, 2010

Rocks and Mountains, Part II

October brought about darker nights and more hikes. First was Storm King, which is the site of a huge fire in 1994 that killed 14 fire fighters. This was probably the most depressing hike because of the history of the area, but it did give the most commanding views.



Next was No Name. Seriously. That's its' name.



This is Sunlight, which is actually the nearest ski slope. Only, since it hadn't snowed yet, the only ski bums in sight were the cows that pasture there in the summer. Of my Sunlight pictures, I like this one the best.


I like the juxtaposition of flowers and dead leaves. This is what most of the hike looked like, however.


I wasn't sure we would be able to do the last hike, because the first snow storm of the year occurred the day before class. We hiked the Scout Trail despite the mud, and got some great shots for our pains. Deer!


And snow! I like the contrast between the snow and the red rock. Also the river in this shot is the Colorado River. This is the business section of my new hometown. The red buildings in the picture are the hot springs and their corresponding hotel.


Now my hiking class is over, and I feel like I know the area a lot better. I'm told that next semester the college offers a skiing class. I might have to take it since I feel like living in Colorado and not knowing how to ski is a crime, but we'll see.

No comments: