Last Friday was my work Christmas party. The food was provided by the cafeteria, but I went anyway. A free meal is a free meal. Also, the food was surprisingly delicious.
Then the entertainment of the night began. The lights were kept fully on, but the DJ kept calling out for people to come out on the dance floor. Finally, one brave family requested that he play that age-old classic, The Macarena. Unfortunately, none of them knew how the dance went. Right hand, left hand, right hand, left hand, head, head . . . but what then? They tried over and over to get it right.
Having danced the Macarena in my day, I was tempted to get up multiple times to help them out. But those lights were so bright, and everyone was just sitting there staring, and it was all so uncomfortable (there was NO WAY I was going to shake my hips in front of that crowd) that I stayed firmly planted in my seat.
As the night progressed (and as, I think, more people got slightly drunk), more people went out on the dance floor and things got a little less awkward. However, those lights stayed on and I knew it wouldn't get much better. I finally made my escape into the night with a fervent hope that I'd never have to go to such an awkward dance ever again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow...yeah, I never really thought about how important the dimmed lights thing is--I mean as an insecure 16 year old, darkness just meant a few less people might notice you're the one against the corner wall, but reading your experience I can totally feel for you. There's no way I would have gotten out there, either!!! Way to escape!
Post a Comment