Saturday, September 11, 2010

Mountain Fair

Toward the end of July I broke away from the confines of my tiny abode and travelled to the next town over to explore. The locals were having a little celebration they like to call Mountain Fair.

Basically, Mountain Fair is a big craft fair in the local park with booths for local artists to try to sell their wares. But Mountain Fair is more than just a craft show. Yes, there are craft booths and food vendors and face painting and such like, but this fair attracts a different crowd than the fairs I grew up attending in Utah. As my boss said when she told me about the fair on Friday, “I like to go to watch the hippies.” She was right. One of the best parts of Mountain Fair was the fact that I could look around anywhere and see people who were perfectly comfortable with being themselves—even if that self was dressed as a fairy, complete with wings made of sequins and gauze.

(Sorry all. I tried to take a few pictures, but my camera and I are fighting right now and destined to break up soon. Apparently it’s still pouting over the fact that I accidentally ran over it with a car a few months ago.)

I arrived at Mountain Fair at the perfect time. Right when I made it to the middle of the park, they were starting the limbo contest! Most of the contestants were tweens and teenagers, but there were a few adults who joined in the fray, including a man who was at least 35 and dressed as a gypsy/pirate. His costume included a sparkly head wrap, a sleeveless shirt left completely unbuttoned, baggy pants and moccasin boots. Not only did he stand out in the crowd, but he was really good! He was the last adult left participating in the contest before two tween boys skunked everyone else with their diminutive size.

After the limbo contest, I wandered over to the food booths and treated myself to a crepe and the best lemonade I’ve tasted for a long time. I sat down in the grass and listened to a local band that was playing, and had fun watching everyone dancing and having a good time. By the time I was done eating, it was time for the wood chopping contest. I almost stayed to watch, but it was a hot day and I could tell it was time to leave. I left completely happy and excited at the prospect of discovering more about my new home.

2 comments:

Jules said...

You ran over your camera with a car??? I want to hear THAT story.

*sits*

DeskSet said...

How I Ran Over My Camera With a Car:

It was May, in the midst of me driving back and forth between Utah and Colorado for various job interviews. One weekend I convinced my family that we needed to have a family vacation before my siblings and I moved away at the end of summer.

We decided on a weekend trip to Moab, where we started the festivities off with a river rafting tour. As we were bundling ourselves and our rafting gear in the car, my dad remembered he'd left his hat in the motel. I dropped my bag of towel, water bottle, and camera by the side of the car and headed back to get the hat. My dad, thinking he was being nice, drove the car over my bag and to the motel room door so I wouldn't have to walk all the way across the parking lot again. My camera has not been the same since.

The real pity of it all is that the screen on the camera was shattered, so none of my pictures from the vacation really turned out. That, and it won't turn off now so it goes through power like crazy, which is why I couldn't take pictures at Mountain Fair.

The End