Saturday, January 9, 2010

Goin' Courtin' . . . At An Older Age

My grandpa recently moved into an assisted living home. It was a rather daunting task for him, especially since we were asking Grandpa to leave his home of over fifty years (and some incredible neighbors) to move to a place where there are four times more women than men. This setup probably doesn't sound that strange to anyone who's been in an LDS Singles Ward lately, or any other religious singles group for that matter; but to him, recently widowed and still very much caught up in the grieving process, it was terrifying. I was grateful he could laugh when he told my sister the following story.

Grandpa was watching TV at about 10 o'clock the other night when he heard a knock at his door. When he opened the door, he found an old lady with a walker standing there.

"I was wondering if you needed help finding your way down to breakfast tomorrow morning" the lady said.

"No, I think I'll be fine." a very bewildered Grandpa replied.

"Oh. How about lunch then? Do you need help getting to lunch?"

"Well, I think I'll be fine getting down to lunch too."

They chatted for a bit more, and Grandpa got even more confused. Why wasn't this woman leaving? Was she flirting with him? It was late. He wanted to go to bed. Finally, she made motions to leave. Before Grandpa could close the door, however, she asked one more question.

"By the way, are you interested in getting married?"

"Uh. . . um, . . . no, not right now." Grandpa finally managed to stutter.

"Okay." the lady said, and before Grandpa could say another word, she turned her walker around and started walking away.

1 comment:

ferskner said...

Oh man, I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this story! I'm glad he was able to laugh at it.