These last few days have been interesting to me. I've been living life as I would normally, but everything seems like it's normal for the last time. Last night I worked my last shift at the main library on campus. I talked with my boss there for the last time, and passed off my badge to my co-worker for the last time.
Last night, I went to my last work party. We all talked and laughed and were completely comfortable around each other. As I sat there I silently marveled to myself that in such a short time I had come to know so many new people and come to appreciate their friendship and the camaraderie we share.
Today was my last shift at the Education Library. It was my very first reference job, and from searching my chat files, I have discovered that the first question I was ever asked was "Can I use your stapler?" The last question I ever answered was "What are the library's hours?" That has a little more clout to it, but not much. Be assured I have answered much harder questions in my time here.
After work today I took Ferskner to the airport, where she is heading to Utah for Control's wedding. I will have left by the time she gets back, so this was our last time seeing each other, and the last time we sang along to Mika in the car together. Oddly enough, he has some good depressing songs that go right along with my mood, that Mika. I always think of him as happy and bouncy.
It feels weird to know that everything you're in the habit of doing is being done for the last time.
Today my boss asked me if I was excited to go home. Since I've been thinking about it for awhile, my answer was a tentative yes. I've done what I came to do in Bloomington, and I'll be happy to see my family and be in the mountains again, but there's a bittersweet feeling about leaving. There have been things I've really enjoyed here. Other things I'll be glad to leave behind. But for the most part, my experience living in Bloomington was a very happy one. Thanks to all who made it so enjoyable! This will probably not be the last time I say that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It is weird to being doing things for the last time. I always keep a little countdown of things when an end is coming. 2 more times walking to such and such building, one more time climbing these stairs... But I guess afterwards you get a whole lot of firsts, so that's kind of exciting.
Oh nostalgia - I don't understand people who don't indulge in it!
Post a Comment