Tuesday, September 8, 2009

When Life Turns Into Analogy

August turned out to be a crazy month. Let me repeat: a crazy month. My dad has nicknamed it after the Clint Eastwood film The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I haven't seen the film, but the name seems pretty apt.

I was thinking about this the other night as I was unable to sleep, and I realized that I have my own analogy for the month of August. It actually stems from something that happened to me about two weeks ago.

As you may know, I have something of a sweet tooth. I usually have a sweet of some sort on hand somewhere. But now I had been living in my parents' home for approximately two days, my apartment was laying in a disorganized heap on the living room floor, and I had no chocolate stash to draw from. I raided the cupboards and behold, shining like a beacon, was a bag of chocolate chips. Most of the bag had been previously used, I'm assuming for a batch of cookies, but a small portion was sitting there asking to be eaten. I opened the bag, poured out a handful for myself and for those who were in the room with me, and popped my share of the delicious morsels into my mouth. It was only after I'd swallowed that I noticed the maggot crawling across the hand I had poured the chocolate chips into.

So yes, that was August. Full of many good things, like a mouthful of chocolate chips. However, there were a few maggots mixed among the sweetness that tainted the whole experience. Let's hope September is better.

4 comments:

Kirsta Silvey said...

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. Thanks for sharing that story.

Melyngoch said...

Am I the maggot in your chocolate, DeskSet? Am I?

ferskner said...

I don't know...for me, maggots kind of negate all the delicious delicious chocolate. I hope that wasn't the case with you!

DeskSet said...

Kirsta-you're welcome. :)

Melyngoch-considering the fact that you were the world's most difficult roommate during the month of August (I saw you for what, 24 hours? And you helped me move during that time!), you are definitely the maggot to which I am referring! You can solve the problem by giving me the recipe to your yummy gingery orangey caramely muffins.

Ferskner-I am a lot more cautious around bags of chocolate chips, but other than that, I think I escaped unscathed!