A week or two before I moved to Bloomington, I got the rare chance to learn to make dill pickles. I made seven jars of them, and I took them all with me to Indiana. I ate like a queen for the first six months I was here. They made my sandwiches so crunchy and delicious. It was a sad day when those pickles ran out.
I tell you all of this so you won't be surprised to learn that one of the most intriguing things I saw last weekend when I went to the county fair was not the livestock, not the demolition derby (although it was fun), and not the elephant ears (scones/fry bread to you Utahans) or funnel cake. Instead, it was the deep fried pickles that were being sold at the same booth as the deep fried snickers, oreo's, and Twinkies. As Liz Lemon would say, "I want to go there."
I didn't buy the pickles that night, but I did try them, and I had tried them once before that. Both times they were delicious. I began to wonder if I could make them myself.
The perfect opportunity to do so came up almost immediately. Some friends were having a going away dinner party, and I was asked to bring an appetizer to it. I found a pretty good recipe here, and it was pretty easy to make. Sorry I have no pictures of the process. What do you think? Would you eat these? I'm pretty sure my friends enjoyed them.


Watch out, family. These pickles are coming to a house near you.
5 comments:
I can attest that this friend enjoyed those fried pickles a lot. Like, so much she is still kind of savoring the memory of their crunchy, dilly flavor. mmmmm....pickles...
I would have even eaten one, even though I hate pickles. But I do like deep-fried. And I'm open-minded.
Senora H-B-I'm glad you liked them! If you ever try the recipe, though, just throw the leftovers away. They're hard to reheat, and they taste weird cold.
Melyngoch-I admire your open-mindedness. I'm trying to be better. I really am. Remember how we ate Ethiopian food a few weeks ago?
You forgot the part when you tried to smoke us out of the apartment. It was worth it for these pickles.
:(
Post a Comment