Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Chicago 2.0: Library Edition

**Warning: Long Post Ahead!**

Well, I survived the job hunt extravaganza. Actually, when it came right down to it, there wasn't much to it.

The phone interview went okay, I think. I keep double-guessing myself about it. I was really nervous because I really want this job. The people I talked to were nice and friendly, which is a definite plus.

Then on Saturday morning it was off to Chicago. The ride up was without incident, and being on a train was fun (and actually a lot roomier than I expected it to be). And when I finally stepped out of Union Station (which was complete with hoboes sleeping on antique-looking wooden benches), there, greeting me in the sunlight, was the Sears Tower, closer than I'd ever been to it before. Hello, Sears Tower!


In my two whole experiences traveling to Chicago, I have noticed the same thing: the people are really friendly. If you look like you're lost, they'll happily provide you with directions, even if you don't ask for them. This happened almost immediately after I got on the bus across the street from the Sears Tower and headed on my way. Halfway through the city, my directions said I needed to get off a bus and take another one. A man got off the bus at the same time, and we started walking the same way. He tried to make small talk.

Friendly Man from Chicago: "So are you from around here?"
Me: "No, I'm just here for a conference."
FM: "Oh? Where is it?"
M: "McCormick Place."
FM: "That's a ways from here."
M: "Yeah, I'm catching a connecting bus."
FM (seeing my directions): "Oh, you don't want to take that bus. Take the 3. I'm going that way too. Follow me!"

So I jumped on a random bus with a random stranger, and I knew he'd led me right because I immediately heard librarians on the bus talking about the delicate intricacies of cataloging. For the rest of the trip, I played "Spot the Librarian." It was a fun game to play.

The conference itself was interesting. I hadn't signed up for any lectures or any special exhibits because I wanted to dedicate myself strictly to job placement. That, and each thing you went to had its own price tag. As I wandered around looking for the job placement center, I came across Library Heaven, a.k.a. The Exhibits.


Just look at all those book vendors! A small piece of me wished I'd choked up the money to go to the exhibits portion, but I pressed onward to the job placement center.

After seeing the Exhibits area, the Job Placement Center was a letdown. There were only seven booths. I know times are hard right now, but seven booths? Seven?! Those seven booths were the reason why I was there, though, so I determined to make the rounds. Most of them didn't even have job openings at the moment. I only placed one resume, but the person I gave it to said he was going to look through his stack that night, and determine who he wanted to interview. Would I please come back the next day? I said I would, and headed out the door.

What to do now? I'd been in Chicago for about two hours, and my reason for coming there was fulfilled. I will admit to being rather downcast. I even considered going back to the train station and seeing if I could go home that night. But I had told the man at the booth that I'd be back. And I was in Chicago. I decided to stick it out.

Thinking back on things, most of my trip still centered on libraries. I took myself on a tour of the Chicago Public Library. Hello Library Owl!


I ate Chicago food, then I went window shopping. I ended up spending most of my time shopping in a book store, where I shuddered at their bad attempt at readers advisory. Librarian friends, what's wrong with this picture?


And as I said before, I played a lot of Spot the Librarian. They were all over the city! Alas, I didn't take a picture of one. However, I did take a picture of this sign.


Finally, it was time to go to the boat tour I mentioned in my previous post. Can I just say I love Chicago at night?


And you already know how I feel about fireworks.


The next day I went back to the job placement center. The man at the booth made eye contact with me almost as soon as I walked in the door. "Oh good! You're here! I wanted to interview you!" He interviewed me right then and there. In-person interviews are so much better than phone interviews! I'm sure it helped that I hadn't really had time to get all worked up and nervous about this one either, but we shall see.

I spent the rest of the day wandering around the group of parks located right along Lake Michigan. The day was peaceful and relaxing, and I wasn't really lonely, but I can say with certainty now that it's much easier to take touristy pictures when you have someone else there to hold the camera.


On my way to the bus station, I ran into another friendly Chicagoan. This time I was getting off the subway.

Other Friendly Chicagoan: "Are you headed to the Greyhound Station too?"
Me: "Yes indeed."
OFC: "You just stick with OFC. He'll lead you right!"

So once again I followed a random guy, and I was led to where I needed to be. There, I spotted my last librarian of the trip, standing right next to me in line for the bus.

Would I repeat the trip again if I were given the chance? I don't know. There definitely were some good moments. There were also some sad ones too. Ask me later once I hear back from my interviewers.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I just have to say that my favorite part of this post was the picture of your foot with the statue's feet. Absolutely classic! I love it! I needed a good laugh, thanks!