I work at the main library on campus. It's a rather formidable building with two wings: the West Tower is five stories tall, the East Tower is twelve. The School of Library and Information Science, where I have classes, is in the basement. The lower floors are mostly offices and computer labs and some books, but you'll have to go to floors 4-11 of the East Tower if you want to see rows upon rows of books (a.k.a. "The Stacks").
Back in September or October of last year, two guys came to the reference desk and asked me for help finding a book in the stacks. I found out later I wasn't supposed to do this, but I hopped out of my stool, and headed over to the elevator. We went up to the fifth floor of the East Tower, and stepped out of the elevator. Then the two guys just kind of stopped and stood there with their mouths hanging open. They couldn't believe their eyes. Rows and rows of books as far as the eye could see. I went on a hunt for the book, and tried to show them what I was doing, but they just wandered around in amazement. When I finally found the book they wanted, we got back in the elevator and one of the guys spoke: "Man, I am definitely blogging about this." If he ever did that, I guess now I'm blogging a blog about a blog.
Back in September or October of last year, two guys came to the reference desk and asked me for help finding a book in the stacks. I found out later I wasn't supposed to do this, but I hopped out of my stool, and headed over to the elevator. We went up to the fifth floor of the East Tower, and stepped out of the elevator. Then the two guys just kind of stopped and stood there with their mouths hanging open. They couldn't believe their eyes. Rows and rows of books as far as the eye could see. I went on a hunt for the book, and tried to show them what I was doing, but they just wandered around in amazement. When I finally found the book they wanted, we got back in the elevator and one of the guys spoke: "Man, I am definitely blogging about this." If he ever did that, I guess now I'm blogging a blog about a blog.
As some of you may know, another thing I enjoy is comic strips. Imagine my delight when I found out there was a library-related comic strip. It's called Unshelved, and you can find it here. Check it out if you want.
I promise I'll write about other things when National Library Week is done, but in the meantime, enjoy the comic strip!
1 comment:
It always surprises me when people are shocked by libraries. So many people are blown away with what you can find and the services libraries offer. Didn't they grow up volunteering for the summer book program and checking out all their movies at the library, too????
Post a Comment