Friday, April 10, 2009

A Laugh a Day Makes You Gainfully Employed?

About a month ago, I was doing something that has become a bit of a routine in the last few months—I was visiting all of the websites I know of that list library job postings. As I searched, I found this description of one institution's ideal candidate. At the time, I laughed and moved on, but I recently found it again and I suddenly thought I should post it here. I'm doing so for two reasons: 1) So my family gets a general idea of the sort of job I hope to have at a date in the very near future, 2) There's something added to this description of the ideal candidate that I didn't expect. I promise I didn't add it or change it in any way for this post. Let's see if you can figure out what that extra something is.

REQUIREMENTS:

  • Masters Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program
  • At least two years of experience in an academic library directly engaged in information literacy programming and planning
  • A demonstrated interest in teaching, and a strong commitment to student learning and the application of technology in the effective designand delivery of instruction
  • Knowledge necessary for maintenance of all library software used by staff and patrons
  • Exhibit sound and accurate judgment and decision making capabilities
  • Basic web design skills
  • Familiarity with current trends, standards, and technologies in information literacy instruction and delivery
  • A strong service orientation, with effective interpersonal, oral, written and online communication skills
  • SENSE OF HUMOR
  • The ability to work independently and as part of a team in a rapidly changing and challenging environment
  • The necessary vision and leadership skills to position the Library to meet future needs
  • Ability to work well with all faculty, students and staff

3 comments:

Holly said...

I like that requirement. I think EVERY job should have that as as requirement.

Lynette said...

You've got a sense of humor Marcie, don't you worry about that! :P

ferskner said...

"The necessary vision and leadership skills to position the Library to meet future needs."

That's it, right?? Right?!?!