Thursday, October 28, 2010

It's Almost Halloween, which Means I Can Post Something Creepy . . .

A little while ago, my landlord walked into the library to talk to me. (This isn’t the creepy part. She works for the same college I do. As she says, she doesn’t have to worry about if I will pay rent or not since she knows where I live, and where I work, and what I do with my spare time. Okay, that is a little creepy.)

Despite the fact that she knows a lot about me, my landlord wasn’t making a social call. Instead, she came to tell me that some of the apartments in my building had been infested with bedbugs. In fact, there was only a one-apartment gap between me and the little blood-suckers.

At first it didn’t sink in. I was new to the area. That meant I was safe, right? I cleaned my apartment thoroughly that week, but besides that I didn’t think much of it. Then Velvet came.


This isn’t Velvet, but the two do look very similar. Velvet may be named for her soft velvety ears, but I will never know if that is true. Velvet was a dog on a mission. Sent to sniff out how far the bedbug infestation had gone, Velvet went right to work without so much as a friendly bark hello. I was extremely grateful when, with a wag of her tail, she declared my apartment bedbug-free.

Oddly enough, it was the confirmation that my apartment wasn’t infested that triggered the dreams of bugs pouring out of my bed and covering me with their little blood-sucking bodies.

The infested apartments have been treated now, and I’m assuming everything is safe once again. But one can never be sure, can they? Happy Halloween, and pleasant dreams! Bwahahahaha!

2 comments:

Jules said...

My mind skipped over all the gross things and went right to that beagle. Do you know how it's my goal in life to own a beagle named Sam? *sigh*

DeskSet said...

This experience has made my opinion of beagles rise exponentially. They're cute and useful!