Friday, June 4, 2010

Pop Quiz Part II

I'm sure you all remember the following scene from the movie The Three Amigos. Tonight it seems strangely appropriate.



The last few days have been stressful ones. Although I've been applying for jobs for about a year and a half now, I haven't had much luck on the interview front. Then this job offer came up on Wednesday and I panicked. They wanted an answer straight away, and although I'd been thinking seriously about it, I still wasn't sure what my answer should be. I considered it a boon that I magically had another interview set up for Thursday. It would buy me 24 more hours of time to make my decision. And it would give me a chance to hear some good advice from good friends.

This other interview is an alternative that exactly fits what I described in my first blog post: a position where I would be working only 30 hours a week (with benefits) and making significantly less per hour. However, this position is located significantly closer to my famiy and in a much bigger city where there are more things to do. It's a college town too, which means that my lower salary might stretch far enough if I looked for student housing.

Compare the two positions side to side, and one obviously trumps the other. However, I've been seriously considering both positions. The social aspect of the 30 hour job far surpasses what I described for the job in the resort town. (I do realize that I will make more friends than those who I go to church with. I just tend to make those friends first.) Plus the 30 hours a week job is close to this and this.

The 30 hour job called me back today for a second interview. Why do I suddenly feel like two options equals a plethora?

No comments: