Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Honk If You Like Tunnels

Whew! A week and a half to go before I head off to Colorado to be a real librarian! So much to do, so little time to do it in. And yet, I haven't really wanted to get started until I knew I'd have a place to stay once I got there. That's right; I haven't signed a lease yet.

My growing panic that I would end up living in a tent pitched haphazardly on a local mountainside caused me to drag my mom on a trip to my future place of employment last weekend. She was nice enough to come with me because she loves me. Also, she grew up in Colorado and she enjoys the blast from the past.

When we drove through those mountain roads last month for my job interview, she told me about the fun vacations she and her family frequently took in Colorado's mountains. On the way to their destination they would make sure to honk the car horn loudly all the way through the tunnels. Like a good daughter, I kept the tradition going.

I was approaching a tunnel this weekend when an extremely flashy semi truck came whizzing past me on a sharp mountain curve. "I don't think I can honk through the tunnel if I'm sharing it with that guy," I apologized. Then a strange and wondrous thing happened: the trucker entered the tunnel and started honking! And for just that moment, I bonded with a speeding trucker as we honked our horns joyfully through the tunnel.