Sunday, October 18, 2009

On Re-Entering the Work Force Through a Window Rather than a Door

Well, I did it. After reviewing the sad state of my bank account and realizing that I wasn't going to be employed in my chosen profession any time soon, I contacted my old boss and asked if there was anything I could do. Magically, there was an opening in another department. Since they already knew me, I got the job. No wonder they say the best way to get a job is through networking!

I've been back at my past place of employment for a week now, and I have already noticed a few positives from re-entering the work force.

  • There's the comforting fact that I even found a job. A few months ago this company was laying people off just as much as every other place was. I choose to take this as a sign that the economy is improving and therefore the perfect library job will come along sometime soon.


  • It really has been nice to see my old colleagues again. It's actually made me realize that I had a lot of friends there. Finding friends is always a good thing.


  • The person who last used my work computer left all of her music on iTunes for me. I've spent the week trying to figure out her taste. Along with a vast collection of Broadway showtunes, Frank Sinatra, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Amy Grant, and the Josh Groban Christmas album, her playlist also includes the musical styings of Led Zeppelin, U2, Avril Lavigne, Weezer, and a hip hop/rap dance mix. And that's just a sampling.


  • My co-workers still really love Halloween. I have been informed that my entire department is dressing up as vampires for the holiday. I finally can put the Yampire Cape I bought last year simply for the typo on the packaging to good use! I am also considering investing in some body glitter.


  • Every Wednesday is treat day.


  • I think I'll get my first check right about the time stores start selling one of my favorite seasonal candies of all time, Mint M&M's. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

  • Oh yeah, and I can start paying that student loan back now. You know, after I get paid.
While this is not the job I have always dreamed of, and I'm still going to look for librarian jobs just as avidly as before, it's nice to have a little security in the meantime.

3 comments:

Kirsta Silvey said...

PDC, eh? If that's where you're at I might have to mosey over and say hello. Oh, and show off how freakin' adorable my kid is.

DeskSet said...

Yes! You should mosey on over! Your kid is freakin' adorable just on your blog, so he's probaby too cute to bear in real life.

Like I said, I'm not in the same department, and everything's switched around anyway so it might be hard to find me, but if you asked in your old department they could direct you right to me. :)

ferskner said...

Yampire Cape! I miss it so.

That really is great that they had something open and you could work. It may not be ideal, but money is always a valuable thing. Hey, can that count as a pun?