Thursday, October 1, 2009

Facing My Fears One Hairdo at a Time

I have a rather irrational fear that I have a man's haircut. I know it sounds bizarre, but I do. I'm always looking at guys' haircuts and wondering if it looks anything like mine. In fact, for awhile I had something of a fascination with this guy.


I was pretty sure that if I straightened my Shirley Temple-esque hair, it would look just like his. That's not actually a bad thing. At graduation he had a beautiful moment where he took the cap off his head and tossed his hair just like they do in shampoo commercials. However, the idea of having the same hairdo as a man is still too weird for me.

Enter the experience I had the other day with the new stylist at my hair emporium of choice. I told the stylist that I wanted the layers put back in my hair since they had all grown out. In the process of cutting my hair, she told me she had just graduated the last weekend, but I didn't think much of it. I was too distracted with how she was cutting my hair.

Hair was flying everywhere! She kept picking up random chunks of my hair and snipping away. I'm pretty sure she went completely around my head at least three times. So thorough was this haircut, I didn't even think to ask the girl to spin me around so I could see what she'd done to the back. I knew I had layers once again. I walked out of the salon with a spring in my step and a spring in my now shorter, more stylish hair.

It wasn't until the next day that I noticed a problem with my hair. On one side, the layers started above my ear. On the other side, they started at my jawline. The back part looked like a big chunk had been taken out of my head.

I don't know what to do. I've figured out a way to do my hair so the big gap in the back is not as noticeable as it once was (curly hair does help hide bad haircuts), but I really want to go get my hair fixed. However, that would mean getting my hair cut even shorter. If I did that, my hair would look like this.


Do you see why I have a problem now? Josh, I love your music. That doesn't mean I want your hair.

The sad part of it all? I know many women with this haircut, and it looks good on them. Whenever I see any of them, I don't think "she has Josh Groban's hair." That doesn't mean people won't think that about me, however. Thus the dilemma.

I got the first picture here and the second picture here.

3 comments:

Lynette said...

HAHAHAHAHA! You crack me up! If anything you don't have Josh Groban hair; he has your hair. :)

Jules said...

Your Josh-Groban-hair-twin fears always amused me. And just for the record, I never once saw any resemblence.

ferskner said...

Wait wait wait, how did I never know about your Gosh (that's Josh Groban - I just made that up) look-alike fears. Especially when I totally have the same fears! Not about Gosh, of course, but about Scott Stapp.