Saturday, May 10, 2014

Garden of the Gods

Last week I headed off to Colorado Springs for a library conference.  Most of the trip was not worth talking about, but I did take the time to do a little sight-seeing.

First of all, I drove through the old main street of Colorado Springs.  I looked all over for the remnants of Dr. Michaela Quinn's hospital, Hank's Tavern, Jake's Barber Shop, Mr. Bray's Mercantile, Robert E's Blacksmith Shop, etc. and I never found them.  Sorry Mom! :)

Just a few blocks away from the old town square, a different sight met my eyes:


Pretty, yes?  This is Garden of the Gods, and the mountain behind it is the mountain that inspired the lyrics to America the Beautiful: Pike's Peak.  Somewhat sadly, the reason Garden of the Gods got its name is because the owner decided it would be a great place to put a beer garden.  Luckily, his friend suggested that the place looked like it was more fit for the gods instead of beer, and the name Garden of the Gods was born.
Proof that I was really here.
 After wandering around the gift shop and convincing a nice couple from New Orleans to take my picture, I decided to take a little ramble around the rocks themselves.  The place was actually packed with people, and a few rock climbers were having a grand old time climbing all over the rocks, so it's kind of amazing that my pictures look so bare.  Also not pictured?  A ton of birds (swifts, I think), who make their nests in the tiny nooks and crannies you can find in the rocks.  Here's a view from the North:


You could actually climb the rock on the far South without climbing gear, so I did just that.  The sun came out and gave me this gorgeous view from the top.  Also, hello photo bomber!


And . . . that is about all I did while I was in Colorado Springs.  It's a lovely place that actually reminds me a lot of home, so I'll have to explore more if I ever visit again.

2 comments:

Tony and Vickie Beard said...

Thanks for looking for those important landmarks. Funny that you should know all the names of the characters of Dr. Quinn---the show I am made fun of for watching. Would you, by chance, like my show, too!

DeskSet said...

Of course I like Dr. Quinn! We watched it as a family growing up! It was a Sunday night tradition. I did have to look up the names, however. That's how I knew Dr. Mike's name is spelled Michaela instead of Mikayla.