Saturday, May 30, 2009

Wherein I Play The Princess and the Pea

I feel like I've been on vacation for most of the month! Something big has happened almost every week/weekend, and I haven't worked a normal workweek all month long. So when L and I were driving back from Nauvoo in order to make it for our early morning flight to Chicago the next day, I was a little too preoccupied having fun to think much about the following phone call I received from Ferskner:

Ferskner: "Hi, just so you know, Control left some stuff in your room when she moved this weekend. Actually, it's her mattress and box springs."

Me: "Oh, that's great. Now L doesn' t have to sleep on the floor tonight!"

When I got back from Chicago four days later, I still had an extra mattress and box springs taking up the entire floor of my bedroom. There was room to open the door, and that was it. But what to do with it? Our storage area was completely full, and the mattress had to stay in the apartment because it was for the girl who is moving in when I move out in August. It was time to get creative.

I pulled my bed apart, and stacked one box spring set on top of the other. Then I did the same with the mattresses. The bed was now as tall as my chest. I called my new roommate, the Medievalist, to survey my handiwork. We had a lot of fun trying to vault onto my new bed.

When I finally got up to the top, the bed swayed dangerously. I suddenly had the feeling that if I turned at all in the night, down the entire thing would come. Plus, It was hard to reach my alarm clock. I pulled off one of the mattresses, and propped it up behind my computer desk. The bed now reached my waist.

Since then I've been sleeping on a mattress and two box springs every night. It's kind of fun sleeping so high up. But that's not where the story ends. While I played the Princess and the Pea, Ferskner was on a vacation of her own in California. She came back last Monday, took one look at my bed and said, "Why did you stack all the mattresses like that? I was thinking we could just hide the extra set behind the couch in the living room."

So I played the Princess and the Pea for nothing. But I'm still doing it. After all that bother, I don't want to mess with it again.

No comments: